Monday, April 03, 2006

Exclusivity

I stayed with some friends in Hong Kong over the weekend, both of whom work for media companies. The company of one of them rented out part of the most exclusive club in Hong Kong--Dragon Eye. That is the place people like Mick Jagger and David Beckham hang out when they are in town. I had never been to such a place before; the closest I had come is the documentary about Studio 54. I really do hate the idea of such places--people trying to convince the woman with the list that they have the right connection. What's the point?

Anyway, we went because of my friend's company, and nobody seemed to like it there. What I did find interesting was meeting journalists and other media types. Afterwards, we stood in a crowd on a very steep street outside a bar. Weird scene, but better than that exclusive place. There, I talked with a guy who worked for CNN for 6 years--3 in Beijing and 3 in Atlanta--and we discussed the problems with CNN and the rest of the American media after 911, especially the issue of access. It reminds me of that exclusive club and the lady with the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home