Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More on NYT Wifly article

UPDATE: Richi at IT Blogwatch has fixed the problem.

Computer World's IT Blogwatch has cobbled together some of the blogger reactions to the Ken Belson article on Taipei's Wifly service, which I discussed below. Although it doesn't cite yours truly, it does cite Michael Turton, who quoted me in his excellent post on the subject. Funny enough, IT Blogwatch included my quote but cited Michael. I would have prefered "via Michael Turton, Wulingren (both live in Taiwan) says," but I don't have any sour grapes, even if some rotten ones are on the floor of my apartment (joke). Michael's site ranks as one of the best--if not the best--blogs in Taiwan, written by a foreigner, so I am happy to be associated with it. He has also plugged this blog, so be sure to check out Michael's, The View from Taiwan.

I found some of the comments concerning Wifly to be a little negative and too quick to pan a system that is still in its infancy. As I said in the comments, there is a sense of gloating about some of them.

Glenn Fleishman, however hits the nail on the head:
Perhaps the biggest difference between Taipei and comparable U.S. metropolises, only mentioned in passing in this article, is that cell data services are substantially better and cheaper than in the U.S. Where the majority of Philadelphia residents have dial-up service and almost certainly little or no cell data access, Taipei residents might have wired Internet service and advanced cell phones.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Turton said...

Thanks for the very kind comments. I actually went to high school in Indiana, PA, at the other end of our home state.

Michael

9:57 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

I meant it. Actually, I just went to graduate school in Philly, but grew up from kindergarten through highschool, and off and on after that, in New Jersey (NYC side).

10:08 PM  
Blogger Richi Jennings said...

Sorry guys. I've fixed the attribution in my IT Blogwatch post.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home