Saturday, September 30, 2006

Letter from Thich Nhat Hanh to Bush

I received this as an email today and discovered it is virally spreading around the Buddhist-inspired blogosphere, which I see is vast:


Letter from Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh to President George W Bush


Plumvillage, Sept 22, 2006

*"Our home is large enough for all of us. Let us go home as brothers and
sisters." - Ven Thich Nhat Hanh*

*Thenac, France -- *Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh recently wrote a handwritten
letter to US President George W. Bush about a dream he had of his
brother. He shared this dream of his with the President and implored Mr
Bush to rethink the situation in the Middle East. Here is the letter in
full.

*Honorable George W. Bush
*The White House
Washington DC, USA

Plum Village
Le Pey 24240
Thenac, France

Dear Mr President

Last night, I saw my brother (who died two weeks ago in the USA) coming
back to me in a dream. He was with all his children. He told me,
"Let's go home together." After a millisecond of hesitation, I told him
joyfully, "Ok, let's go."

Waking up from that dream at 5 am this morning, I thought of the
situation in the Middle East; and for the first time, I was able to cry.
I cried for a long time, and I felt much better after about one hour.
Then I went to the kitchen and made some tea. While making tea, I
realized that what my brother had said is true: our home is large enough
for all of us. Let us go home as brothers and sisters.

Mr. President, I think that if you could allow yourself to cry like I
did this morning, you will also feel much better. It is our brothers
that we kill over there. They are our brothers, God tells us so, and we
also know it. They may not see us as brothers because of their anger,
their misunderstanding, and their discrimination. But with some
awakening, we can see things in a different way, and this will allow us
to respond differently to the situation. I trust God in you; I trust
Buddha nature in you.

Thank you for reading.

In gratitude and with brotherhood,
Thich Nhat Hanh
Plum Village

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful letter. if only xiao bushi could have a moment of enlightenment.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Gene said...

Yah! He'll get right onto reading that once he's done watching An Inconvenient Truth.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Eli said...

Is that the Gene? Do you know if An Inconvenient Truth is still playing in Taipei? Where?

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home