Friday, October 13, 2006

WARNING: The following post contains the F-word

I'm sitting in Starbucks somewhere in Taipei. There's a guy ordering at the counter. I can only see the back of his shirt, which reads: "You fucking fuck!" The words glare out at me. And no, this is not a translation. I wouldn't even know how to begin to say that in Chinese (but if anyone can rectify my ignorance, please do so in the comments).

Anyway, he stands for a long time with his back to me. I stare on in wonder, waiting for him to turn around so I can see what is written on the front. Curiosity is killing me.

And then, he slowly rotates in my direction, and the words gradually emerge; it is like waiting for the image in the photography studio.

Aren't you as curious as I was? Can't you guess? On the front of his shirt were the words: "Fuck you!"

I guess this is one of those situations similar to the youths wearing Che Guevara shirts: He probably doesn't understand.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how funny. even when i see shirts like this in the states, i wonder what the point of them is!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

I guess some people just like the F-word.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Michael Turton said...

Had a student with a F YOU! hat today. Thought it was cool, I think. My favorite F word experience was walking to a market in downtown Taichung past a junior high. The whole school out on the balcony between breaks, and about 50 or 60 boys leaned out and shouted: "FUCK YOU!" and then broke up into laughter.

Michael

8:02 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

What bugs me is kids who maybe have a vocabulary of 50 words, which unfortunately includes "Oh my God!", a phrase they feel compelled to blurt out in response to everything, along with some hysteric giggling. The F-word is versatile at least.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

Yes, it is a versatile word, isn't it?

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home